1. Commencing for meetings on and after Monday 6 March, Harness Racing Victoria (HRV) will be programming a supplementary race at each race meeting that will be open to horses of any class and gait.
2. The supplementary race is designed for horses whose connections were keen to race at a particular race meeting but who did not believe that there was a suitable race on the program for their horse.
3. The stake money and distance of the supplementary race for each race meeting will be listed in the Program as displayed on www.harness.org.au.
4. All supplementary races as programmed will be Mobile Start events.
5. If a horse accepts for two or more races at a meeting, including the supplementary race, a trainer may notify the HRV Handicapping Panel of a preference for the supplementary race over the other race/s, however, such horse will only be given preference in the supplementary race at the discretion of the HRV Handicapping Panel.
6. If there are sufficient acceptors for a supplementary race and if in the view of the HRV Handicappers a relatively even and competitive race (or races) can be compiled from the acceptors, then HRV will proceed with conducting the supplementary race.
7. HRV reserves the right to not include certain acceptors in the final field for a supplementary race if in the view of the Handicappers that a horse or horses will not be competitive in the field or if a horse or horses are clearly superior to their rivals and would not create a competitive and relatively even race.
8. The decision as to whether a field or fields can be compiled from the acceptors for a supplementary race or races will be made by the HRV Handicappers and their decision will be final. Similarly the composition of a field for a supplementary race and which horses from the acceptors are included and excluded from the field or fields will be made by the HRV Handicappers and their decision will be final.
9. A horse or horses that are nominated for other races on the Program and which do not gain a start will be deemed to have nominated for the supplementary race. If the HRV Handicappers believe that a Supplementary Race could proceed with the inclusion of one or more of these horses, they will contact the trainer to determine if the trainer would like to start the horse in a supplementary race.
10. A horse that is engaged as an emergency in a standard race may be granted a start in a supplementary race on the same day. If there is a scratching from the standard race, such horse is required to contest that race and will be scratched without penalty from the supplementary race. Should such horse scratch from the standard race, it will be deemed ineligible for the supplementary race.
11. Concession Driver Claims do not apply in a supplementary race.
12. A mares allowance does not apply in a supplementary race.
13. The type of barrier draw that will be used in a supplementary race will be at the discretion of the Handicappers after acceptance time. The Handicappers will use the barrier draw as a tool to assist in creating a competitive race. The winner of a supplementary race will take the relevant penalty for winning the race based on the stake level of the race.
14. HRV will be trialling the supplementary race at all meetings in March 2017 after the first meeting at Kilmore on 6 March. The trial may be extended further at the discretion of HRV and depending on the success or otherwise of the supplementary race, it could be introduced as a permanent race on all programs.